I’ve been sharing bits of my pregnancy all over the place on Design for MiniKind, but after your sweet comments on my Gap / Rue photo shoot, I wanted to share a bit about my pregnancy beauty routine for those of you expectant mamas out there! Check out a few of my favorite products that have been keeping me cool, calm and collected throughout my pregnancy (so far at 34 weeks!):
1. Budget beauty finds are always at the top of my list, and since my scalp became super dry with pregnancy, I switched to Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care with Almond Oil. Bonus? My husband loves it, too, so we can share the same shampoo without taking up precious real estate shelf space in the shower.
2. I also switched to a super hydrating conditioner, and looove how invigorating John Allen’s Mint Hydrating Conditioner is. I’m imagining this to be a staple to keep me awake in the shower when I’m sleep-deprived from a newborn in the home!
3. I started getting really super dry skin around the third trimester, so L’Occitane Shea Hand Butter Cream became an instant staple. I have tubes of it scattered everywhere – my car, kitchen drawer, desk, nightstand and purse!
4. I used to spend loads of time applying foundation meticulously with a primer, foundation brush and powder, but with a baby on the way, I needed a time-saving option for daily use. CoverGirl + Olay Tone Rehab 2-in-1 Foundation is quick, easy and packed with a hydrating serum that improves skin tone over time. (I’m assuming I’ll be relying on that serum heavily when the parenting stress introduces more fine lines and wrinkles over the next few years!)
5. My nose became super sensitive in the first trimester (pregnancy is so weird!), so I switched to a lighter perfume for special occasions. Philosophy’s Amazing Grace is a forever favorite – it’s light, airy and feels fresh without becoming overpowering. If I wore perfume daily, I’d choose this one.
6. Another first trimester must was Laura Gellar’s Bronze-n-Brighten powder. I felt tired and generally “blah”, so applying a bit of bronzer to my cheeks, forehead, nose and chin made me look much more well-rested for traveling to speaking engagements, conferences and the like. It’s a subtle blend, so I love that it gave me just a hint of color in the dead of winter.
7. The other face-brightening trick I relied on was a bright coral lipstick. It’s amazing how much bold lips can wake up a tired face, so I often swiped on a color-packed shade to run out the door for errands. A great 5-second pick-me-up!
8. I didn’t get the “pregnancy mask” until late in my second trimester after a day at the pool (with sunscreen, of course!), when I came home to a very, very pigmented and tanned forehead. I’d read Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream works well for restoring the skin’s surface and natural elasticity, so I’m giving it a go.
9. The first trimester stressed me out terribly (omg those pregnancy books!), so I took a ridiculous amount of lavender baths. Kiehl’s Foaming-Relaxing Bath was in constant rotation those first few months!
10. Shaving has become such a chore (I can barely bend over with this watermelon in my midsection!), so I streamlined the process with Gillette Venus & Olay Razor. The lather is built-in to the razor, so I don’t have to mess with slippery shaving cream while I’m teetering off balance, and the five blades keep me from slicing and dicing myself when I’m in a rush. Highly recommend!
11. For stretch mark prevention, I used cocoa butter until I found Erbaviva Stretch Mark Oil. It smells so amazingly therapeutic that I use it at least twice a day just to get a whiff of those essential oils. It’s perfectly luxurious – and USDA organic!
What about you, pregnant mamas (or former pregnant mamas!)? Any must-have beauty products I simply must know about? I have a feeling this last month is going to be an uncomfortable one, so any indulgences you can recommend are much appreciated! And a huge thanks to P&G for sponsoring this beauty-filled conversation!