For me, a somewhat regular fitness routine staves off so many things, from the less important (low energy levels) to the necessity (anxiety and panic attacks). Since January I’ve been focusing on taking better care of myself, which yes, includes a bit of sacrifice. My alarm sounds at 4:45am so I can fit in a [nearly] full work day plus an hour yoga or barre session. And by the time the sun goes down and Bee heads to bed (9pm these days), I can’t even keep my eyes open long enough to watch the opening credits of Orange is the New Black (are you guys loving it? Tell me everything!).
So while I’m hopelessly out of touch with pop culture and my after-hours social life can best be described as rusty, it’s the season I’m in. And for now, a daily fitness routine is what’s keeping the wheels on this bus. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s hanging out in my fitness bag, just in case you’re inspired to sweat it out this summer… (psst: everything is under $100)!
1. Admittedly, I wear this bralet nearly every day. The thin straps work with so many different tops and I love the extra coverage in the bodice; it’s surprisingly flattering under sheer, thin summery tanks. Beyond Yoga Bralet ($69)
2. Because I schedule my workout in the middle of my work day, I generally rely on pieces that aren’t overtly fitness-oriented so I can wear them all day long, from playdates to errands and everything between. This top from COS (now available in the states; I’m so excited!) looks equally great with yoga pants as it does tucked into a pencil skirt with some summer flats. Drawstring Top ($79)
3. Speaking of yoga pants, Dear Kates recently Kickstarted their unbelievable yoga pants that, yes, were created to wear commando. I was lucky enough to try out a pair early and ladies, I’m a believer. Definitely worth the investment. Dear Kates Yoga Pants ($98)
4. These are my favorite sneakers for my barre classes because they’re crazy lightweight (perfect for those leg lifts!) and are so easy to dress up or down for the day. Monki Sasha Printed Sneakers ($57)
5. I go to hot yoga once weekly, so a towel is kind of a must to keep the sweat under control. This one lays right over your mat for a no-slip downward dog. Yoga Towel ($42)
6. This glass water bottle with a silicone grip overlay is the perfect workout partner to stay hydrated and toxins-free. bkr Bottle ($30)
7. I love this no-fuss backpack for everyday use. I can easily stash my laptop, wallet, phone, keys and chargers, plus a change of shoes or clothes when necessary. (And a few diapers and crayons eventually make their way in there, of course!) Plus, it’s neutral with a bit of a twist – my favorite style. Hype Backpack ($47)
8. I’m a recent convert to Larabars, thanks to my Whole 30 experience last month. They’re the real deal kind of healthy (unless you’re allergic to nuts), with just dates, almonds and pecans to their name. I generally keep a few on hand if I’m running errands or have a particularly busy day ahead of me. Larabars ($20 for 16)
9. I love to rely on pieces that work for multiple occasions. This sweatshirt is comfy enough for morning yoga but works just as great with cuffed boyfriend jeans and a turban on the weekends. Roberto Collina Sweatshirt ($69)
10. I’ve been growing my hair out for forever, and these headbands are a Godsend for keeping flyaways out of my eyes when I’m warrior 1-ing. (Truly, little drives me crazier than hair in my face – gah!) Emi-Jay Headbands ($10)
Tell me, friends, do you work out? I’d love to hear any fitness essentials you’ve got in your bag!